We should often reflect on the ideals of the life of the Christian.
As a baptised follower of Christ, we are sealed with the Spirit and are invited to live according to the Spirit. St Paul sums up this life in one short sentence:
What the Spirit brings is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Gal 5:22-24)
We can use this sentence as a guide to see how clearly we manage to follow Christ.
- Love of God: How do I show it…
- by prayer?
- by my faith and hope?
- by my actions?
- Love of others: Is my love just words? How do I show it by what I do for…
- my parents?
- my brothers and sisters?
- my friends?
- those with whom I study?
- Love of myself: It is right to love oneself but am I…
- Love of things: Jesus said: “No one can serve two masters, God and money.” (Mt 6:24; Lk 16:13)
- Do I consider money more important than anything else?
- Am I greedy about what I have?
- Do I share with others?
- Do I try to spread joy and happiness?
- Am I bad-tempered, irritable or miserable?
- Do I complain a lot?
- Do I make people angry or unhappy by my attitude?
- Do I try to live at peace with others and to make peace among others?
- Am I at peace with myself?
- Do I fight, contradict or quarrel?
- Am I a good loser?
- Am I prepared to accept law and authority?
- Am I impatient with myself (or with others)?
- Do I expect too much from myself (or others)?
- Do I get upset if things do not go my way?
- Do I want quick and easy results without bothering to work?
- Am I mindful of…
- my family?
- those who are tired after a busy day?
- the sick and those with disabilities?
- Is my religion just a matter of going to Church?
- Am I generous in the help I give to others?
- Do I put a limit on my goodness?
- Am I afraid to do what I should because of what my family or friends will say?
- Do I admire and try to copy the goodness of others?
- Am I trustworthy? Do I tell the truth?
- Do I let my friends down? Am I sincere in what I do?
- Do I help to build up trust in the groups to which I belong?
- Do I trust others? Do I do what I am asked or told to do with reluctance or willingly?
- Do I try to get my way by force?
- Do I hurt others by my words or actions? Am I violent in my speech?
- How do I react when others are violent against me?
- Do I respect others in the way I treat them?
- Do I regard gentleness as a sign of weakness?
- Do I try to control my mind, my actions, my emotions?
- Do I try to acquire worthwhile habits?
- Do I take care of my health?
- Do I waste food, drink and other resources because of greed?
- Do I treat myself with dignity?
- Do I use my gifts and talents properly?
Based on Let us pray for vocations, p115-117 | Image courtesy of pixabay.com